The Kindle Fire Tablet was a Christmas present from my wife. I had bought her one during the year for her birthday and I guess, had expressed some interest in it and noted she was using it more than I had anticipated. Now I find I am using mine far more than I thought I would. I think this is because it can be used for so much more than an electronic book. Although Amazon doesn’t claim it to be an iPlayer as such, I use it to log onto the internet if the wife is using our laptop. Games can be played on it and downloaded (many for free).
We don’t have the HD version; however, the screen gives a very good, sharp picture and I wonder how much better the HD version is for the extra cost. There is only one down side as far as I can see and that is the battery life. It’s Ok if you are just using to read books but as soon as you use for anything else it really runs the battery down. For instance, I like to watch and listen (via headphones) to music on YouTube. Streaming video for 2-3 hours at the most then it needs charging. A standard charger takes over 6 hours so I am going to buy a high speed one. (£17.99). Other than the battery life I think this is a super thing to have.
The Technical Stuff
- Size: 189 mm x 120 mm x 11.5 mm
- Weight: 400g
- Display: 7" multi-touch colour display; 1024×600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, IPS (in-plane switching) technology and Gorilla Glass
- Storage: 8 GB internal memory, approximately 5.5GB available for user content
- Battery life: Up to 9 hours of reading, surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Single-band Wi-Fi. Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks
- Ports: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) port for connection to a PC or Macintosh computer or to connect to the Kindle PowerFast charging accessory.
- Audio: 3.5 mm stereo jack and integrated stereo speakers.